Great Summer Activities in or near Cherokee County
It’s time to start planning ahead for summer. We don’t want you to miss any of the fun festivities in the Cherokee County and surrounding area. Fill your calendar with these activities for a summer packed with fun. Some are even free to attend!
1. Plan a day at Lake Allatoona. We are so lucky in Towne Lake and Woodstock to be in such close proximity to this wonderful lake.
2. Woodstock Friday Night Live – One Friday a month (March – December) in downtown Woodstock. Enjoy the many restaurants and stores the area has to offer. Downtown merchants stay open late, 6 pm – 9 pm, and celebrate with a themed downtown festival.
3. Cool off at the Cherokee County Aquatic Center just off Exit 11/Sixes Road in Holly Springs. They have a seriously large outdoor water oasis area that includes a lazy river and kids splash area.
4. Go to an Atlanta Symphony Orchestra performance. This year, the ASO is celebrating its 72nd anniversary—an impressive accomplishment. Check out their various performances this summer and throughout the year, as dozens of concerts are available at several different locations, including nearby Reinhardt University—some celebrating holidays, specific movies, composers and genres. As the saying goes, there’s something for everyone!
5. Canton First Friday - Held the first Friday of each month (March – December) in the Historic Downtown Canton Loop in downtown Canton. Includes a block party, car show, live music and food.
6. Woodstock Summer Concert Series- Free concerts are held May-September at 7:30 p.m. at the Park at City Center. The 18th year for this event, it’s sponsored by Northside Hospital
7. Woodstock Stars & Strikes July 4th Spectacular - City of Woodstock’s annual 4th of July event. Early morning Woodstock Freedom Run 5K road race begins at 7:15 am. Parade through downtown Woodstock at 10 am, followed by a festival in the Park at City Center until 3 pm. The day concludes with fireworks at dusk behind the Target shopping center at Hwy 92 and I-575.
8. Tanglewood Farm Miniatures – Includes a 10-acre Wild West Town with more than 150 miniature, rare and heritage breed farm animals. Check their Facebook page for updates on closures, weather issues, etc.
9. Weekly Woodstock Farmer’s Market – Held every Saturday (May – December) from 8:30 am to 1 pm in Olde Town Woodstock on Market Street between Mill and Maple Streets adjacent to the Elm Street Arts Village event green as well as every Tuesday (May – October) in Olde Town Woodstock on Market Street between Mill and Maple Streets adjacent to the Elm Street Arts Village event green, from 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm. Now in its 8th year.
10. Movies in the Park – a free event being held in Woodstock, Canton, Cumming and Dawsonville, with different dates and movies for each. Check out the Facebook page for more details and regular updates.
11. Visit a Georgia State Park. Red Top Mountain State Park is the closest to Woodstock, but there are 66 state park and historic site options. Go to learn more. The site also lets you know about special days, programs, hikes and volunteer activities held throughout the year.
Bonus Idea: Make the hour and a half drive up to Chattanooga for the day or the weekend. You may be surprised at just how much there is to do here—a very impressive aquarium (voted #1 for customer satisfaction), a children’s museum, Ruby Falls, Rock City, the Hunter Museum of American Art, riverboat and duck rides on the Tennessee River, a well-known and popular Sunday farmer’s market known as the Chattanooga Market, Lake Winnepesaukah amusement park and SoakYa Water Park as well as numerous historic sites throughout the area. Check out www.ChattanoogaFun.com to learn more.
Whatever you and your family do this summer, have fun and make tons of great memories!
Ursula & Associates is a residential real estate team specializing in Towne Lake/ Woodstock, Cherokee and East Cobb Counties and are the number 1 home sellers in zip code 30189.
Keller Williams Realty Partners – Reach our broker: 678-494-0644